Thursday, May 16, 2013

Project All-In Update: Impromptu Taper

Well, about 2.5 weeks left to go until Rev3 Quassy. Instead of being out doing some race-specific workouts...I'm booking every chiropractic, ART, and massage I can. We're in impromptu taper mode here.

Little background: I believe there's a distinct difference between soreness, being hurt, and being injured. Soreness is something that is relatively expected with the territory of endurance sports; you're pushing and tearing yourself down, in order to get your body to adapt to the workload and recover. Being hurt is something that you could potentially push through and race on, but training on it significantly will lead to injury. And an injury is, well, you can't do anything. You're on the shelf.

I'm squarely in that hurt category right now. Trying to be a hero and gut through it would probably put me right into the injured camp.

So, what's going on? Looks like the piriformis and gluteus minimus are just freaking out right now. Not really sure what happened. Glancing back at my training log, I would say that it possibly came up from a swim workout that featured a lot of race-pace breaststroke, and the kicking motion might have irritated something. It also only started to really get bothersome following a hill repeat session running.

I've been off running for almost two weeks now. Last hard run was two weeks ago today, and last run of any distance will be two weeks ago Saturday. I've been swimming and biking, because those activities haven't felt any different.

In the interest of just getting healthy, though, we're just going to shut it on down until things calm down. There's really no fitness to be gained at this point; workouts are more maintenance oriented and preparing for race intensity. Luckily, I've done a lot of work in that area in all three disciplines so far this year. The fitness well is deep and filled. I have nothing to gain and everything to lose at this point there. So might as well make sure we can toe the line with 100% certainty.

Have to just keep telling myself: Hay is in the barn. We're fit. It's not going anywhere. Just get healthy.

Speaking of, there's going to be a pretty big Maine contingent down at Quassy. There's going to be the epic battle with old friend Adam, who is finally in my age-group. A fair number of fellow Sustainable Athlete's. Then, of course, all the Rev3 crew.

Will you be there? Let us know in the comments!

No comments: