Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Like the Sun We Will Live and Die, and Then Ignite Again...

My apologies for a lack of updating in this space as of late. Lots of stuff going on in life.

You know the saying, "if it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all?" This has been an adequate description of the past few weeks around the Crashing the Boards offices.

I'd been delivered some relatively frustrating news just before Boston, but with all of the training that was involved with doing the race, I don't think I had taken the time to actually process any of it. It hit me out of left field and just knocked me on my rear end. Coupled with the physical and mental toll of the race itself, and well, you've got a recipe for emotional burn-out.

Mind you, this is all before the more recent developments around these parts. I'm not going to dive into the heart of the issues, mostly because a.) it's really, really close to me and considering the way that I pour myself into these things...it's not something I can do yet and b.) well, it's a family thing. Couple that with loss, a couple other things on the plate, and well...

I just haven't had the space to write yet. I have things I want to do; I have a review of Swiftwick socks on the horizon, as well as some other topics of choice regarding training and retailing. But I also need to put myself first, too.

This is where the title of this has been coming from. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a bit of a 90s alternative geek, so having Soundgarden back is kind of...well...awesome. "Live to Rise," although a bit derivative and having some cohesion issues (the intro, and other parts of the song, just don't seem to co-exist well with one another; perhaps tension purposely developed for The Avengers), has an absolutely clutch Chris Cornell chorus:

Like the sun we will live to rise
Like the sun we will live and die,
And then, ignite again
Like the sun we will live to rise again...again...


It's truth. You have control only over the things that you can control; try and do those things that put you in the best position to succeed whatever the circumstances that may arise and throw you for a loop. It's a tough lesson for me, personally, because I always feel like you can control everything when, in fact, you can't. But I can control the reactions to such circumstances; I can control the things that I do in those situations. It's how you respond to adversity. It's igniting, sparking, moving forward.

But without a doubt, it's continuing to plug along, move forward, and do what I can to be the best I can on any given day. For that, I'd like to thank anybody and everybody who reads this page. All the friends, the family, the co-workers, the sponsors, the entirety of Revolution3...I can't thank any of you enough for standing alongside, being a part of my life, helping me along. You're all more than I could ever ask for.

No comments: